Saturday, March 2, 2013

First Art

Today we started doing art. Not that I haven't given Ladybug fingerpaints, playdough, crayons, and markers before today. But today I finally got my hands on an art curriculum for toddlers that I have wanted to check out. After reading and implementing it, I'm very happy with it and thinking of buying my own copy. This is First Art for Toddlers and Twos, by MaryAnn F. Kohl.

There are certain classes or parenting philosophies that make me feel relaxed, and help me to observe my daughter while she learns in her own way. Following the lessons in this book brings on that kind of relaxation. All the emphasis is on process, not product, and the lessons are about creating an environment for the child to explore. There's instruction about how to provide the child with a comfortable space. After reading, I actually got online ASAP and ordered a $30 play table and chairs from Ikea. I realized that in our home we didn't have a low table where she could comfortably sit or stand to do her art. I've been putting her at the dining room table, where battles ensue over standing up on the bench. Also, I just put up beige curtains in the dining room. Tempera paint splatter is not the "look" I'm going for!

I am grateful for one simple piece of advice that I've been able to implement immediately. When setting up an art project for a toddler, provide them with a small bucket of soapy water and some cloths for their hands. I am so used to doing hand washing and cleaning up after the project, so I never thought of this. But my kid is exactly the type who needs it. I tried to introduce finger paints when she was about a year old, and she stuck the tip of one finger in the paint, then looked at me like, "Why would anyone do that to their hands?" Now that she's a little older, she wants to squish paint between her fingers for the sensory experience. But then she looks at what she's done to her hands and flips out. Being able to immediately clean her hands is going to make such a difference in her ability to enjoy playing with art. Tonight I set her up with some q-tips, cotton balls, and glue. She played with the glue a little bit, and told me she really liked it. But she spent the majority of her time exploring the tub of warm soapy water. Fine by me! The sooner she learns that it will always be part of her art time, the better.

The book is divided into five sections:
1) Primarily Paint
2) Hands on Dough
3) Making Marks (drawing)
4) Sticky Business (glue, contact paper)
5) Great Impressions (printmaking)

I like the idea of rotating through the chapters, so that we're playing with a variety of media on a regular basis. The author reminds the reader to be sure to repeat projects, because children thrive on repetition. We'll see how it shakes out for us, but I'm committed to setting up a regular art environment for her.

The best part of this evening's art time? Me, sitting back and relaxing, observing her play. Unasked, she repeatedly said to me, "Ladybug really likes it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment