Friday, December 28, 2012

TED Talk - Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity?


I wanted to post this video that a friend shared with me. It is laugh out loud funny, poignant and well-stated. My favorite quotes from this talk:

"[Education is] one of those things that goes deep with people...like religion and money..."

"We have a huge vested interest in education. Partly because it's education that's meant to take us into this future that we can't grasp."


"Creativity now is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status."

"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original."


"The whole [public education] system was invented...to meet the needs of industrialism."


Sir Ken Robinson makes an extremely compelling case for educating the whole child and nurturing the needs of all different learning styles. I am saving this to watch again and again when I think my children aren't learning in the ways they "should." I hope it will remind me to look for who they are instead of who I want them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment