Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2 Year Checkup: Thoughts on Preschool

I've been meaning to write about this for a few weeks now. We had Bug's two year checkup with the new pediatrician this month, and I think it went pretty well. The whole practice seems really gentle and kid-friendly. For example, when Ladybug began to freak out about having her head measured, the nurse patiently blew soap bubbles until she calmed down.

The doctor and I talked about good nutrition, made sure Ladybug was up to date on her vaccinations, and had a brief chat about toddlers watching TV. Doc was very non-judgmental. Then she asked if I had plans for preschool when Bug turns 3. Is this a standard pediatric interview question now? When did preschool for 3 year olds become quasi-mandatory? So I answered, "Well, yes and no." I first mentioned that there's a farm-based preschool that looks delightful, and I am considering it. Doc smiled warmly. I went on to explain that I was homeschooled and that our family is planning to homeschool. Doc took that in stride and replied that if we didn't do preschool we should make sure to get her around other children her age. Emphasis is Doc's, not mine. Doc looked appeased when I mentioned weekly Homeschool Playgroup.

So here we are, at the socialization issue already. I suppose if homeschoolers never let their children out of the house or did any group activities, there could be a problem. In our city, there is an overabundance of social activities for homeschooled kids. But what really struck me was the emphasis that these children Ladybug is to play with should be her age. Is there actually any research or evidence to support that recommendation? I realize that our public schools divide children by age. Does that mean same age groups are automatically a necessary requirement for a three year old's healthy development?

My quick google search turns up this article about the importance of friendship for children: http://www.aboutourkids.org/articles/do_kids_need_friends
I didn't catch anything there about the friends needing to be the same age. Generally I hear homeschooling parents who are pleased with the wide age range of children who play together. I watch my daughter learning from older children at playgroup and church. I'm sure older children benefit from having younger ones around as it gives them the chance to be role models and teachers.

I'm lacking a neat way to tie up this post. Some of this is moot since Ladybug has close friends her age. I'm just resisting any suggestion, even a mild one, that I need to recreate a preschool setting in the ordinary course of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment