Friday, December 28, 2012

How to Talk about What I Don't Like

I've been thinking to myself that I want to start blogging about all the ideas I have to educate my family differently from a standard public school. If I'm going to take on the task, I should at least write out my ideas so I can better reflect on them. I want to be clear with myself (and anyone interested in reading along) what my goals are, and why I would make such an unorthodox choice as to homeschool my kids.

My hesitation here is that this involves some criticism of school. Not everyone homeschools because of a dissatisfaction with public or private schools. For many families it's simply a way of life that works well, without reference to a school. I do believe our family will grow into that way of life, but I also have some negative things to say about what goes on in many schools. This is a very political topic and always has been. Socrates was found guilty of corrupting the minds of the youth of Athens. We get testy when it comes to teaching our children.

I cannot speak about every school in the country, first because I don't have the experience, but second because they are so varied that it's useless to try to talk about them as if they were one institution. Additionally, the last time I attended a public school was in 1998. A few things have changed. The changes I know about, such as increased standardized testing, do not impress me. My point is that there are many things I just don't know. But I still need a way to talk about my philosophy and my concerns.

I have friends and relatives who work hard in public schools. I know so many good teachers, and I respect their experience and the work that they do. I had good teachers in school, people who left such a strong impression on me that I think back to them decades later. But I also know teachers who I privately think aren't that bright and I wouldn't want teaching my kids. I sat in a restaurant next to two student teachers whining about how much math they had to learn (10th grade level) to teach elementary kids. It was all I could do to restrain myself. What kind of model of learning are those people providing? What kid deserves the sentence of learning math from a teacher who sees little value in the subject? 

If my only concern were the occasional lame teacher, I would probably send my children to school. I think most teachers are probably great; I certainly learned from many great people. But I firmly believe that they are good people working in a bad system. My biggest concern for my kids' education is the preservation of a love of learning for its own sake. Grades, busywork, teaching to the middle, teaching to the test, cutting P.E. then punishing kids for wiggling...what else can we come up with to make learning a more godawful experience?

Then there's "good schools." These are the ones in the nice neighborhoods with the good funding from hefty real estate taxes. People buy homes in these neighborhoods so their kids can attend the "good schools." This must be a happy experience for enough families because the schools gain that "good" reputation. However, I still object to the emphasis placed on letter grades, overscheduling of extracurriculars, standardized testing, and general sense that you must get into Harvard to have a meaningful life.

There probably are schools that would not offend my idea of an education that is exciting and respectful to the student. However, I believe they cost a lot of money that, at this point, I would rather save for my daughter's college tuition.

We may all find that she does well in a school setting when she is a little older. Some very religious homeschoolers are comfortable sending their children to high school, because by then the students' value systems are in place. My thoughts are very similar, but the values I want to protect are a joy in learning and inquiry. I want to promote doing your best work regardless of a letter assigned to it. I believe young children shouldn't have to swim upstream for a healthy education. So I'm starting at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment