Thursday, May 22, 2014

"Learning As Part of their Humanity"

I'm pregnant! And with pregnant comes several months of bone-deep exhaustion. So I spent January through April of this year sleeping and imitating a zombie. But I'm coming back online and feeling my energy rise. In the spirit of being imperfect, I will make my return post a quick stub. This is from a comment I posted in a general online forum where the topic of homeschooling was raised:

I agree wholeheartedly with those who say the biggest requirement for homeschooling your kids is that you have your own love of learning. This is the reason I know homeschooling is a good fit for our family. My husband and I are inquisitive, lifelong learners who model that for our kids. Really, I left school because I love learning so deeply that I couldn't continue trying to learn in that flawed system. This is not about "good" versus "bad" districts and test score-style measurements of institutions. I have no interest in "good" school districts where students all feel pressured and overscheduled so they can try to get into Harvard. My interest is in raising children who own inquiry and learning as part of their humanity while they grow into responsible community members.

No comments:

Post a Comment