Monday, September 17, 2012

Religious Education

Homeschooling frequently brings up questions of religion, because a large subgroup of homeschoolers hold conservative religious beliefs. Many of them homeschool precisely because they want their religion to be central to their child's education. However, this does not describe our family. My husband is becoming pretty comfortable referring to himself as an atheist. I have just begun attending our local Unitarian Universalist church and feel very at home there.

This Sunday was the second time Ladybug and I attended our new church, and it was Ladybug's first day of Religious Education Class. She eagerly stuck a felt flame on a felt chalice and even more eagerly devoured goldfish crackers. Mom got to listen to a sermon without a toddler's joyful noise. A resounding success for everyone.

For Bug, I imagine that the striking part of this day was the new room to play in, being without mommy for 45 minutes, and the new toddler friends to play with. I am struck by the idea of dropping her off to (eventually) be taught about a subject as personal as religion by someone else. I'm reflecting on why I am mostly comfortable with the decision. Most parents seem to feel that tug when sending their child to school. But for a homeschooler, this is an especially sensitive spot. Am I indoctrinating her? Why am I rejecting one institution and accepting another?

That day's sermon provided part of the answer to my questions. In honor of the beginning of Religious Education classes, the topic was Education. The minister spoke about the value of letting children explore their consciences, rather than imparting absolute truth. He went on to say, "The Unitarian Universalist faith is a faith for explorers, and we need to encourage our educational systems...to explore in greater depth." This philosophy is in line with my own, in large part because of the trust and respect offered to children. I am willing to trust a small part of my child's education to people with this philosophy of exploration.


No comments:

Post a Comment