Monday, August 13, 2012

Me, Content to Follow

Ugh, potty training. I put all of life on hold last week because I thought it was time to pursue intensive potty training. It seems wrong to spill all the gory details publicly, so let's just say I was wrong, that it was not time to go diaper-free, and Miss Bug let me know that. I stayed vigilant (bullheaded) for exactly five days. Today I was in a funk over my failure, and tonight I'm ready to take all of life back off hold so I can return to enjoying motherhood. That's how bad failed potty training was. I do normally enjoy motherhood.

When I started this blog I wrote a description for it that refers to my best-laid plans and my toddler's idea of a good time. Weeks like last week are why. We have this cycle, maybe all parents and children do, where I plot a course and she either rolls with it or runs in the other direction. If she's not rolling I get intensely frustrated for a period of time. When I'm wise, it's a couple hours. Sometimes it's a week. With The Great Nap War, it was almost a year.

Then I lighten up and change course. I have to look to her strengths and her cues. I have to give her the attention she needs and also cut myself a little slack. Inject fun.

Although the potty thing isn't happening right now, Ladybug is all about dressing and undressing lately. I think I will focus on that all-important life skill. We can do lots of practicing with shoes and getting in and out of clothes. She'll have a blast, and I'll be paying attention to what she wants to practice, and doing less imposing of my agenda. Also, there's a book for that: Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?.

Now my frustration is beginning to evaporate. That always happens when I roll with her plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment