Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Educational is Political


I talk with so many people about education, and so often I feel like I haven't managed to communicate why I would want to homeschool. Its hard to do without a three hour conversation. But I want to improve. How about this:

I want for my family far more freedom and self-direction than the system is willing to accommodate.


The educational is so political. Study political science, and you will likely begin with Socrates, whose crime was corrupting the minds of the youth of Athens. What and how we teach our young people is a powerful force to wield.

I recently told a politician I would vote for him because I valued what he had to say about improving public education. I couldn't miss the crestfallen (and maybe confused) look on his face when I said my family would probably homeschool. I'm all contradictions. What I mean is this:  Yes, please improve the public system. Families deserve a quality public option. I want something more radical, but I know most don't.

I know teachers against this awful "ed reform" movement who must think I have drunk the Kool-Aid about how America's public schools are failing. Well, politics makes strange bedfellows. It's finally okay to criticize school. School, which is traditionally associated with apples, kids trotting off with their cute backpacks, young minds growing enlightened as autumnal sunlight beams in their classroom windows.  I had a few days like that in school. But mostly I received damaging messages like: perfection is the goal, the reason to learn is to make money, make sure not to question authority too much, girls usually struggle with math, and my "favorite:" when you are excited about learning you are a nuisance to your teacher and classmates.

For this reason I stand with those who say we don't need ed reform. We need an education revolution. No test, no curriculum adjustment, will solve the problems that are inherent in our current system.

I feel stuck. Do I fight against standardized testing while operating in a system that needs to be fundamentally restructured? Would it be immoral to want free, self-directed education for my child while fighting for something different for other children? Even if it's what they and their families want? I fear the answer is yes, which is why I care so deeply about education yet want nothing to do with a career in schooling.

Critics of some proposed reforms, like vouchers, say that these changes will gut our public schools. Silently, knowing I need a three hour conversation to explain myself, I think: good. We need something new, and there's usually a pile of ashes before a phoenix can rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment