Monday, August 5, 2013

August

This morning around 7:00am I opened our back door and it was quite cool outside. Not "Not-yet-hot" with humidity that promises a scorching day as soon as the sun gets a little higher. No, crisp and cool. 59 degrees, according to Google. It feels beautiful, and I left the kitchen door open to enjoy it. But I'm not sure I like it. August. Since when does August mean cooler mornings? Since you moved to New England, silly. I grew up in the Midwest, with Augusts so hot you could fry that cliche egg on the sidewalk. Opening the back door could often be mistaken for opening the oven door.

Summer here is so short and precious. It will give way to fall, and New England fall is the most glorious and spectacular experience. But I'm not ready yet. The back to school commercials are running on the radio. Another homeschool blogger I read is writing about Fall planning (rightfully so). I just can't do it. Ladybug's playmate turns 3 this month, followed by this cascade of autumn celebrations instantly followed by Ladybug being 3 and then winter celebrations. Then before we know it 2013 is over! Did I mention I just can't do it yet? Last year I wrote "It's Still Summer," so I guess this is a thing for me around this time of year, hanging on to the last bits of heat in an otherwise chilly climate.

I'm not ready to entertain fall, but I will acknowledge late summer. The sunflower seeds we planted in spring have formed fat buds, and one is showing off tiny yellow petals. Instead of getting ahead of myself like I usually want to do, I'm reflecting on late summer as a time to savor. This heat and those flowers were so dearly anticipated back in the winter, when we were buried under 3 feet of snow in our March blizzard. This month, now, is the one we've been waiting all year for. I believe I will play in the hose and walk to the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment