Thursday, January 10, 2013

Winnie-the-Pooh for A Very Young Listener

Several weeks ago I checked out Winnie-the-Pooh for Ladybug and began to read it to her in very short bits. She really enjoys it, but we hit a wall when we reached a page with no pictures. It's just too much text for a toddler to listen to without any pictures to hang onto. We've been reading and rereading the first couple of chapters. Ladybug particularly likes "Pooh Goes Visiting and Gets Into a Tight Place." That's the one where Pooh gets stuck in Rabbit's door. I think the simple physical comedy is appealing for a little kid.

When I stop reading, Bug squeals, "More Pooh!" but she can't focus on the longer text. There are very short adaptations of Pooh stories but they are, well, very short. They're also not written by A. A. Milne and lack some of the whimsy that makes the originals so wonderful. So I spent some of naptime searching and found just what I was looking for! I had to search not using the term "Winnie the Pooh," but by the specific chapter titles in the book. They seem to all be out of print, but I was able to find the chapters of Pooh published in individual volumes, with more pictures per page, and slightly abridged text. But they do use the original A. A. Milne writing! Several of these are aimed at kids first learning to read, but they work well as a picture book for toddlers too. I requested six of them from the library, and it was all I could do to not borrow ten. I'm very excited, and I know Ladybug will be too!

No comments:

Post a Comment