Monday, May 7, 2012

Loving Language and Corduroy

Ladybug and I read together all the time, and she is adamant about her role of turning the pages. Up until recently, it has taken her a little time to get used to a new book. She might have lost interest before the story was over, or demanded to flip through the pages more quickly. As she became familiar with the book's pictures and plot, her attention span increased. This process took a little time, and I found myself adding new books to our collection at a rate of about four per month.

Last week she startled me by developing a stronger thirst for language. I noticed it first when Jamberry became an instant favorite, no breaking-in time needed. She requested the book constantly, and I must have read it a dozen times a day. She honed her usage of the word no to reject other books in favor of Jamberry. The last page of the book sends her into a fit of giggles that warm my heart.

Now her book requests have ramped up. The other day she brought me ten books in a row. It looks like this: Toddler approaches, book in hand, and pleads, "Dee! Dee!" Mommy reads book. Toddler slides off Mommy's lap to fetch another book. Repeat. I worked out a system where I fold one diaper in between each reading so I can still get the laundry put away.

One of the books Ladybug pulled into our fetch and read rotation is Corduroy. I bought this one several months back, not realizing how much text it has. I introduced it to her by summarizing pages, just talking about the pictures, and only getting through half of the story before her interest was gone. Back then I put the book aside, not wanting to annoy and overwhelm her with something so long. She's a tiny kiddo, after all.

Well, that concern has passed, because Corduroy is now the #1 book in our household. Ladybug points at me when we read about Lisa's mommy. She grins in anticipation before the "Pop!" as Corduroy pulls the button off the mattress and points to her own arms as we read how Lisa carried Corduroy. She hums, "Hommmm," after Corduroy declares that he has always wanted a home.

Between the massive number of book requests and absorption of a longer storybook, I can see that the demand for more involved stories is high. I'm excited! I have ordered Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and Madeline. It can only get more fun from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment